10 Ways to Use Coconut Oil
Coconut oil does it all. It is used in cooking, it is used as a cleaning agent, it is used for beauty, and so much more. And while coconut oil is high in saturated fat, that’s not stopping people from using it sparingly with cooking. Everything in moderation, right?
One interesting bit of information about coconut oil is that it gives HDL [good] cholesterol a boost. Home cooks are experimenting with coconut oil in baking, like using solid coconut oil instead of butter or vegetable shortening to make pie crust, and when making ethnic dishes, such as Thai dishes.
Some studies have shown that coconut oil may improve insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetics and may result in more fat loss and weight loss compared to olive oil in findings in people who were part of a weight-loss program. As more studies are carried out, more information about the health benefits from coconut oil will be made available. In the meantime, here are some way people are using coconut oil:
- Sweeten your coffee by adding one tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Make a face mask for dry skin. Mix together 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, 2 tablespoons of espresso, 2 tablespoons of natural cocoa, and 1 tablespoon of honey. Apply to face, leave on for a few minutes, and then rinse off with warm water. Pat skin dry with a towel.
- Make an all-natural salad dressing. Mix together ¾ cup coconut oil, ¼ cup pineapple juice, ½ cup chopped pineapple, and ¼ cup chopped macadamia nuts. Serve over a mixed green salad.
- Make healthier eats by substituting oils used in baked goods and other dishes.
- Instead of using eggs in dessert recipes, use coconut oil.
- Instead of using butter for cooking, use coconut oil.
- Instead of using butter for flavoring popcorn, use coconut oil.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of coconut oil into your smoothie for extra flavor and an energy boost.
- Detangle hair by applying coconut oil to wet hair.
- Relieve stress and tension by applying coconut oil to your temples. Massage in a circular motion.